Thursday, January 27, 2011

Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly

Summary Provided by Random House:
BROOKLYN: Andi Alpers is on the edge. She’s angry at her father for leaving, angry at her mother for not being able to cope, and heartbroken by the loss of her younger brother, Truman. Rage and grief are destroying her. And she’s about to be expelled from Brooklyn Heights’ most prestigious private school when her father intervenes. Now Andi must accompany him to Paris for winter break.

PARIS: Alexandrine Paradis lived over two centuries ago. She dreamed of making her mark on the Paris stage, but a fateful encounter with a doomed prince of France cast her in a tragic role she didn’t want—and couldn’t escape.

Two girls, two centuries apart. One never knowing the other. But when Andi finds Alexandrine’s diary, she recognizes something in her words and is moved to the point of obsession. There’s comfort and distraction for Andi in the journal’s antique pages—until, on a midnight journey through the catacombs of Paris, Alexandrine’s words transcend paper and time, and the past becomes suddenly, terrifyingly present.

Jennifer Donnelly, author of the award-winning novel
A Northern Light, artfully weaves two girls’ stories into one unforgettable account of life, loss, and enduring love. Revolution spans centuries and vividly depicts the eternal struggles of the human heart.

My Thoughts: 
Revolution was wonderful! I can't even begin to tell you how truly amazing and touching this story was. I finished this book over two weeks ago and I still can not stop thinking about it! The second I finished it, I wanted to read it again. The characters were well-liked and the plot was original and entertaining. When I first heard about this book, I was skeptical. It seemed interesting but I wasn't sure if I wanted to take the time to read it. I then watched this video, and knew I had to read Revolution:



The book has the perfect blend of history, mixed in with the present. The story is told through the perspective of 17 year old, Andi. Her father moved away, her mother is distant and needs help, and Andi is dealing with the horrible death of her little brother which she believes is her fault. When her dad forces her to go to Paris with him for a few weeks, it is the last place she wants to be. While in Paris, Andi comes across the diary of a actress, Alexandrine Paradis, who lived during the time of The French Revolution. Through the diary, we get a first hand account of what happened before, during, and after The French Revolution, as well as the fate of a young boy, Louis-Charles, Prince of France. Louis-Charles story is a very sad one, and Andi relates his story, to her brother's untimely death.

There is not much I can say about this book except you MUST READ IT! Anything I write about Revolution will not do this book justice. The words flow seamlessly through the pages and you might think it would be hard to juggle the different story lines, but Donnelly does it effortlessly.

This book is a fascinating read! Lovers of YA books, adult books, and history books alike will enjoy this beautiful story.

Love, Kristina

2 comments:

  1. That's great to hear! I have this one waiting for me as well. I think i'll get to it soon. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another book on my reading list because of you! Seriously I'm becoming broke!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to read my post! I would love to know what you think, so please leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...