Thursday, February 10, 2011

Across The Universe by Beth Revis


Summary Provided by Goodreads:
Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.
Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone-one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship-tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.
Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.

My Thoughts:
Across The Universe is a wonderful, creative, and original debut novel. Set hundreds of years into the future, the story follows Amy, frozen while still on Earth to be woken up 300 years later on another planet, and Elder, born and raised on the ship, Godspeed, and future leader of the ship’s residents.

Let me start by saying that the first chapter terrified me. Reading about Amy and her parents being frozen alive was surreal. Beth Revis’ vivid writing made me feel that I was the one being frozen. After that initial chapter, the next hundred pages or so went kind of slow for me. I thought about “breaking up” with it, but boy am I glad I didn’t! Once I hit the half way mark, I was not able to put the book down for a second. I wanted, no I NEEDED to know what was going to happen!

Godspeed had many, many secrets and Amy and Elder were trying to figure them out. I loved being able to piece together the puzzle until I learned the truth. The book also had me asking myself some ethical types of questions, and some of them I had a hard time answering.

I would recommend this book to my friends. At first I was hesitant about reading it because I don’t normally enjoy science fiction stories, but I am so happy that I gave this book a chance!

Also, how pretty is the cover? I love it!

*This is a 2011 Debut Author*

Love, Kristina

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to read this book! I've been waiting for my library to get it in, but it looks like they might not for a while. I guess I will just have to buy it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to read my post! I would love to know what you think, so please leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...