Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson

Summary Provided by Goodreads:
Amy Curry thinks her life sucks. Her mom decides to move from California to Connecticut to start anew--just in time for Amy's senior year. Her dad recently died in a car accident. So Amy embarks on a road trip to escape from it all, driving cross-country from the home she's always known toward her new life. Joining Amy on the road trip is Roger, the son of Amy's mother's old friend. Amy hasn't seen him in years, and she is less than thrilled to be driving across the country with a guy she barely knows. So she's surprised to find that she is developing a crush on him. At the same time, she's coming to terms with her father's death and how to put her own life back together after the accident. Told in traditional narrative as well as scraps from the road -- diner napkins, motel receipts, postcards--this is the story of one girl's journey to find herself.

My Thoughts:
Let me start by saying that I have been reading some pretty awesome books lately! Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour is another read that I can say is one of my favorites! Even though this book has a serious undertone due to Amy dealing with her dad’s death, it’s still hilarious and fun and an all-around great time!  There were many times I was laughing out loud right along with the characters.

Amy and Roger were fantastic characters! They were believable and interesting. Both thought that this road trip was just going to get them from Point A (California) to Point B (East Coast-Amy is on her way to CT, Roger is going to PA). But instead, this trip helped them in so many more ways then they thought. Their epic detour takes them to different parts of America, with each place helping to heal them. Secondary characters, such as Lucien, who is the most adorable southern gentleman, were equally awesome and added a lot to the story.

The book also features scraps from the road. Receipts, postcards, music playlists (Roger has great taste in music and Amy loves Broadway musicals), Roger’s doodles, and a “Where I’ve Been” journal really added to the story. I felt like I was traveling the country right along with them. 

Amy & Rogers Epic Detour can be devoured in one sitting and a highly recommend it! I think it has a little something for everyone. The ending had me grinning like an idiot and I would have seriously looked like a fool if I was out in public when I finished it.

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I really liked this one too. All the little extras and playlists were my favorite parts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been hearing nothing but great things about this book. Me thinks I'll need to pick it up very soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to read my post! I would love to know what you think, so please leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...