Friday, June 3, 2011

What Happened To Goodbye By Sarah Dessen


Summary Provided by Goodreads:
In the past two years, Mclean Sweet has moved four times. At each stop, she assumes a new persona, but it never quite works. Whether she's an effervescent cheerleader or an intense drama queen, nothing can permanently dispel the turmoil and rage at her mother since her parents' divorce. Sarah Dessen's novel about a teenager and her restaurant manager father captures the vulnerability that young people often experience after the dissolution of their family. A compelling story; strong characterization; and with a touch of romance.

My Thoughts:
I have a love/hate relationship with Sarah Dessen books. They always seem so interesting and then when I finish them I realize again what I don’t like about her books. The last one I read from her, Along for the Ride, I absolutely loved so I thought I would love this one too. I didn’t love it, but I didn’t hate it either.

I always end up loving the male characters more then the female ones in Dessen’s book. She always writes the guys as mature and knowledgeable beyond their years, while the girls are whiney bitches. This one was no exception. Dave was fun, smart, cute, and sweet. I really enjoyed his character. Mclean on the other hand I felt was dramatic, whiney and overall just annoying. The other secondary characters I really liked, especially Mclean’s dad and her new friend, Deb (Actually I loved Deb-she brought a lot to the story!).

I thought the story was cute. Mclean moves around with her dad because of his job. At every school she tweaks her name, Mclean Elizabeth, and changes it to Liz, Eliza, Beth, ect. She also changes her interests. When she has to move she just leaves without ever saying goodbye to her new friends, causing the guy she was seeing at the last place she lived to post on her UMe wall, “What happened to goodbye?”

I really enjoyed the ending. I love how everything came together for everyone. I love a story that ends with all the characters in a good place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to read my post! I would love to know what you think, so please leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...