Thursday, August 11, 2011

Review: The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson

The Girl of Fire and Thorns
By: Rae Carson
Publication Date: September 20, 2011
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 299 
Once a century, one person is chosen for greatness.

Elisa is the chosen one.

But she is also the younger of two princesses, the one who has never done anything remarkable. She can’t see how she ever will.

Now, on her sixteenth birthday, she has become the secret wife of a handsome and worldly king—a king whose country is in turmoil. A king who needs the chosen one, not a failure of a princess.

And he’s not the only one who seeks her. Savage enemies seething with dark magic are hunting her. A daring, determined revolutionary thinks she could be his people’s savior. And he looks at her in a way that no man has ever looked at her before. Soon it is not just her life, but her very heart that is at stake.

Elisa could be everything to those who need her most. If the prophecy is fulfilled. If she finds the power deep within herself. If she doesn’t die young.

Most of the chosen do.


The Girl of Fire and Thorns is the story of Elisa, Princess of Oravalle and bearer of the Godstone, a jewel implanted into her navel. This means she has been chosen by God to perform a special service. Elisa has no clue what this service is going to be, or that she can even do anything worthwhile. When she is sixteen, Elisa is forced to marry the King of another land to form an alliance between the neighboring countries, and she is taken from everything she has ever known. As soon as Elisa starts to get used to her new life, she is kidnapped by people who have been searching for the next chosen one. Elisa soon realizes that her kidnappers are good and their people are suffering and it is up to her to save them. She realizes that this is the reason she is chosen by God, and will do everything in her power to save the people.

Elisa has a complete transformation throughout the story which I really enjoyed. She starts out really annoying and weak. By the end, she was strong and selfless, and willing to do anything to protect others.

My main issue with this book is the fact that she had a jewel stuck to her navel. It just really grossed me out. Every time it was mentioned, I would squirm. I just found it disgusting.

Overall, I thought it was an original fantasy novel. It wasn’t my favorite that I read this year, but I still enjoyed it. I can see this turning into a very good series! Also, I think it could have used some maps. I love maps! 

The Girl of Fire and Thorns comes out September 20, 2011. 




4 comments:

  1. Great review!! This does sound like a pretty good book. Jewelled navel thing is a bit bizarre, I agree with you there

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  2. No maps? Bummer! I enjoy maps in my fantasy novels too. This sounds like an interesting read. I love the cover!

    Also, I’m a new follower—wonderful blog! Stop by my blog and follow me too? :) http://rachelbrookswrites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review - it sounds really interesting and I have to say that the cover is gorgeous :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm almost done with this. Jewel stuck in the navel is definitely weird...but this novel is surprisingly appealing. Not my fav either but I like it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to read my post! I would love to know what you think, so please leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...