Thursday, February 2, 2012

Review: Vanish by Sophie Jordan

Vanish
(Firelight # 2)
By: Sophie Jordan
Pub. Date: September 6, 2011
Publisher: Harper Teen
Pages: 294
Source: Own
An impossible romance.  Bitter rivalries.  Deadly choices.

To save the life of the boy she loves, Jacinda did the unthinkable: She betrayed the most closely-guarded secret of her kind. Now she must return to the protection of her pride knowing she might never see Will again—and worse, that because his mind has been shaded, Will’s memories of that fateful night and why she had to flee are gone.

Back home, Jacinda is greeted with hostility and must work to prove her loyalty for both her sake and her family’s. Among the few who will even talk to her are Cassian, the pride’s heir apparent who has always wanted her, and her sister, Tamra, who has been forever changed by a twist of fate. Jacinda knows that she should forget Will and move on—that if he managed to remember and keep his promise to find her, it would only endanger them both. Yet she clings to the hope that someday they will be together again. When the chance arrives to follow her heart, will she risk everything for love?

**Warning: Do not read this review if you have not read the first book in the series, Firelight**

Vanish is the second book in the Firelight series by Sophie Jordan. I started reading it as soon as I finished Firelight. I knew I wasn't going to be able to wait, so I am glad that I had a copy readily available. While Vanish did start off kind of slow and I was afraid I wasn't going to like it, I ended up loving it. Now I can't wait for the third book!

Vanish starts exactly where Firelight ended. Jacinda, her sister Tamra, their mom and Cassian are about to be taken by Will's family, the hunters. Maybe it was fear, maybe it was adrenaline, but Tamra finally became a draki (she never developed her powers like everyone else) and was able to wipe out all of the hunters memory.

Safely back behind the "walls" of the tribe, Jacinda needs to prove she deserves to be there again, but she hates every minute of it. She wants to be back with Will. But she can't and won't leave her mom and sister.

While I absolutely loved Jacinda in the first book, she kind of bothered me in this book. She was just a lot weaker to me, and she couldn't choose between Cassian and Will. It was just very annoying to me. Cassian completely grew on me in this book. We get to see some awesome sides to him, and you can tell he cares deeply for Jacinda. Tamra played a huge role in Vanish, and I enjoyed seeing her finally coming out of her sister's shadow.

The last few chapters were very intense! I can not wait to get my hands on the third book, Hidden. I think it is going to be the most exciting book yet, which is saying a lot because the first two books were absolutely amazing! 


4 comments:

  1. Part of me, I think, loved the first book more but I still loved this one too! What surprised me was that I loved Will but then suddenly I loved Cassian . . . it was great to see more him shine. But then there's Tamra . . . oh I did NOT like her one bit. Anyway, great review! I'm looking forward to the third book - talk about a cliffhanger!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reallly need to start reading this series.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that Jacinda was annoying in this book. As a huge fan of Will, I did not enjoy seeing her flip-flopping between the two guys. Can't wait for the third book though-I'm totally hooked on this series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit that her obsession with Will was a bit extreme. With everything that is happening to her, she just continues to sulk. Not even 60 pages in and I was rolling my eyes hoping that the story would pick up. Unfortunately for me... it didn't. The entire book focuses on Jacinda's mixed feelings about Will and whether or not she can say good-bye to him. As well as sorting out the feelings that she is developing for Cassian. I think my last straw for Jacinda was when she and Cassian's little sister Miram were captured by the hunters and Will comes to save the day. Jacinda leaves Miram and takes off with Will. She tries to get Miram to leave with them but Miram is scared and says that she doesn't trust Will or Jacinda. So she just up and runs off with Will. Right there was when I lost all respect for Jacinda.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to read my post! I would love to know what you think, so please leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...