Thursday, March 1, 2012

Review: Dead To You by Lisa McMann

Dead To You
By: Lisa McMann
Pub. Date: February 7, 2012
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pages: 243
Source: Bought
Ethan was abducted from his front yard when he was just seven years old. Now, at sixteen, he has returned to his family. It's a miracle... at first. Then the tensions start to build. His reintroduction to his old life isn't going smoothly, and his family is tearing apart all over again. If only Ethan could remember something, anything, about his life before, he'd be able to put the pieces back together. But there's something that's keeping his memory blocked. Something unspeakable...
Let me start off by saying how much I love Lisa McMann! I would read anything this lady writes. Her ability to write such captivating stories in such a little book is mind blowing, and Dead To You is no different.  Dead To You is a dark and mysterious read that will keep you guessing until the very end.

When Ethan was seven he was abducted while playing in the front of his house, the only witness being his younger brother, Blake, who was four at the time. Nine years later, Ethan is now 16 years old and returning home to his parents, brother, and his "replacement" sister, Gracie. Things aren't as smooth as everyone thought they would be. Ethan does not remember anything about his previous life, and it doesn't help that Blake believes that he isn't really Ethan.

I loved Ethan. The kid had a really hard life, he still loves the women who raised him after the abduction and considers her his mom, even though she ended up abandoning him, leading him into group homes and eventually the streets. Despite this, he was a good person, and I loved how he and Gracie formed such a wonderful bond in a short amount of time. I felt bad every time Blake was mean to him and every time he accused Ethan of being a fake it really tore a little at Ethan's heart, and at mine.

Since it's Lisa, I knew I had to expect some sort of bang at the end of this book, and sensing what it was, I was disappointed because I have read other books with this ending and thought it to be unoriginal. While I ended up being right about certain aspects of it, Lisa put her own spin on it, and I ended up being pleasantly surprised.

Dead To You is such an emotional read. The whole situation in which this book is about is so heartbreaking. Lisa did a fantastic job getting inside the heads of the entire family going through such a traumatic time.

I read Dead To You in one sitting and enjoyed every single part of this book. I would highly recommend it. If you haven't read anything by Lisa McMann, what are you waiting for? You will not be disappointed! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to read my post! I would love to know what you think, so please leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...