Thursday, July 26, 2012

Review: Defiance by C.J. Redwine

Defiance
By: C.J. Redwine
Pub. Date: August 28, 2012
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Pages: 315
Source: Edelweiss
Within the walls of Baalboden, beneath the shadow of the city’s brutal leader, Rachel Adams has a secret. While other girls sew dresses, host dinner parties, and obey their male Protectors, Rachel knows how to survive in the wilderness and deftly wield a sword. When her father, Jared, fails to return from a courier mission and is declared dead, the Commander assigns Rachel a new Protector, her father’s apprentice, Logan—the same boy Rachel declared her love for two years ago, and the same boy who handed her heart right back to her. Left with nothing but fierce belief in her father’s survival, Rachel decides to escape and find him herself. But treason against the Commander carries a heavy price, and what awaits her in the Wasteland could destroy her.

At nineteen, Logan McEntire is many things. Orphan. Outcast. Inventor. As apprentice to the city’s top courier, Logan is focused on learning his trade so he can escape the tyranny of Baalboden. But his plan never included being responsible for his mentor’s impulsive daughter. Logan is determined to protect her, but when his escape plan goes wrong and Rachel pays the price, he realizes he has more at stake than disappointing Jared.

As Rachel and Logan battle their way through the Wasteland, stalked by a monster that can’t be killed and an army of assassins out for blood, they discover romance, heartbreak, and a truth that will incite a war decades in the making.
From the first moment I heard about Defiance I knew that I wanted to read it, and boy does this book not disappoint! From page one I was captivated with this story and it's characters.

In the city of Baalboden, the Commander rules his people with an iron fist. On one hand, he promises to protect them from the cursed one, but on the other hand, he kills those who do not follow his law. One of those laws being that every female must have a male protector. They are not allowed to even leave their house without one. When Jared, Rachel's father, does not come home from his courier mission, the Commander pronounces him dead. Her fathers will states that Logan, the boy she proclaimed her love to two years earlier is her new protector. This makes things very awkward since Logan did not return the favor. Rachel, convinced her father is still alive, will do anything to find him, with or without Logan's help. This is when the action starts, and it is non stop until the end!

I loved Rachel! Her father raised her to be strong and independent. She's kick ass and can protect herself in any situation. Because of everything that happened to her in such a short amount of time, I can understand the reasoning behind some of her choices. Some were stupid, but again, they were understandable.

Logan was absolutely amazing! He is definitely the broken type-orphaned and lonely, he became the apprentice to Jared when he was younger. After watching his mother be murdered at the hands of the Commander, he was labeled a social outcast. He was starving and living on the streets when Jared took him in. He owes his life to Jared and takes his job as Rachel's protector very seriously and also cares very deeply for her. What's not to love about him? He's a sexy nerd who can fight like no other. He's also sweet and loyal and would do anything for those he cares about it. If I participated in the book boyfriend meme, Logan would definitely be my top pick!

I loved the romance between Logan and Rachel. They have known each other for years but ever since Rachel told Logan her feelings, and he did not reciprocate, their friendship has been on the outs. Now they are forced to be together again, and I think the way their relationship was written was perfect. It made complete sense how it all came together. Rachel and Logan are hands down, one of my favorite YA couples!

The Commander is a terrifically written villain. He's scary and brutal! The things that he has done to people are heartbreaking, especially when you learn the full story of what happened to Logan's mother. Rachel was determined to get revenge on the Commander for all of the terrible things he has done in his life. I admired Rachel for not giving up on that revenge, no matter how difficult it seemed at times.

Defiance is so easy to get into. It's fast paced and action packed. There was never a dull moment and I literally could not put this book down! The writing was captivating and interesting, and I thought the story was very original. I also love that it was written in the POV of both Logan and Rachel. It was just perfect and made me understand these characters so much better!

I also thought the cover was perfectly simplistic in a big way. Does that make any sense? I really got a sense of the story from the cover. The artistic department at Harper are geniuses!

I would HIGHLY recommend Defiance. I can not wait until I can have a finished copy of this book on my shelf!


5 comments:

  1. I agree with you, it was 100% go from page 1. The world building was really good. I felt the ending was a bit rushed, but I am definitely excited about book 2!

    Kate @ Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this one yet but it's high on my TBR list! Thanks for the awesome review! It makes me that much more excited to get to it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, the first couple times I read the synopsis, I actually didn't think this book was for me. However, read it again today, and then reading your review, I am totally excited to read it now! Your reviews are VERY convincing, Kristina :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, this sounds better than I imagined when I first read the blurb! great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! Definitely adding this to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to read my post! I would love to know what you think, so please leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...