Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Review: Andy Squared by Jennifer Lavoie


Andy Squared
By: Jennifer Lavoie
Pub. Date: September 18, 2012
Publisher: Bella Distribution
Pages: 264
Source: Netgalley
Seventeen-year-old twins, Andrew and Andrea Morris, have always been close. They share everything—from their friends to a room—and they both enjoy star positions on their high school’s soccer teams. All’s right with the twins...or is it?

When new student Ryder Coltrane moves from Texas to their small New York town, he spins Andrew’s world upside down. All of Andrew’s past relationship troubles begin to make sense and his true feelings start to click into place after Ryder comes out to him. His friendship with Ryder turns secretively romantic, but secrets, they soon find out, are hard to keep. Once rumors start to fly, so-called friends turn on them, and the boys’ relationship turns into a bomb about to explode. But Andrew never expected it would be his own twin, Andrea, holding a lighter to ignite it.

Andy Squared is a coming of age story about 17 year old Andrew and how by him realizing who he really is not only changes him, but affects the people around him as well.

Andrew and Andrea are as close as twins can be. They share the same friends, the same activities, even the same nickname- Andy. Andrew is definitely a playboy. After a few weeks with a girl he starts to find her annoying and breaks up with her. When new kid Ryder moves to town from Texas, things start to change for Andrew. He starts to put certain pieces of his life together and he realizes that he is attracted to Ryder. Never in a million years did Andrew ever think he could be gay, but it is undeniable. He wants to spend all of his time with Ryder and he wants to know what it would be like to kiss him.

I thought Andrew was a very well written character. The emotions he felt where realistic and honest to me. Even though this is something that I will never experience, I felt everything that Andrew felt. I also loved Ryder. He was so sweet and I liked how patient he was with Andrew. He never rushed him, and always made him feel comfortable.

I couldn't stand Andrea though. Her reaction to her brother's homosexuality was disgusting and I couldn't believe she did what she did to him. I thought it was a little unrealistic how easily Andrew forgave her for what she did. I would have been furious! It just goes to show what a great guy Andrew truly is! His parents reaction to him coming out felt very real to me. I liked how it was portrayed.

The only other thing I didn't like about Andy Squared was the cover. When I first saw it, I assumed the book was about some 80's rock singer with a drug problem. Anyone else see that?

Overall, I really enjoyed Andy Squared. It is a raw and honest portrayal about a teenager learning who he is really is and accepting it, despite what others think about it.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to read my post! I would love to know what you think, so please leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...