Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Review: The Forsaken by Lisa M. Stasse


The Forsaken
By: Lisa M. Stasse
Pub. Date: July 10, 2012
Publisher: Simon & Schuster BFYR
Pages: 375
Source: Borrowed
A thought-provoking and exciting start to a riveting new dystopian trilogy.

As an obedient orphan of the U.N.A. (the super-country that was once Mexico, the U.S., and Canada), Alenna learned at an early age to blend in and be quiet—having your parents taken by the police will do that to a girl. But Alenna can’t help but stand out when she fails a test that all sixteen-year-olds have to take: The test says she has a high capacity for brutal violence, and so she is sent to The Wheel, an island where all would-be criminals end up.

The life expectancy of prisoners on The Wheel is just two years, but with dirty, violent, and chaotic conditions, the time seems a lot longer as Alenna is forced to deal with civil wars for land ownership and machines that snatch kids out of their makeshift homes. Desperate, she and the other prisoners concoct a potentially fatal plan to flee the island. Survival may seem impossible, but Alenna is determined to achieve it anyway.

When I first read the synopsis for The Forsaken I was intrigued. When I finally got my hands on a copy, I read it while on a road trip from Ohio to New York and it did not disappoint one bit! There is action, romance, and mystery. I could not have asked for a better book to read on a boring car ride home! The Forsaken is a wonderful start to what I see becoming an AMAZING series!

In this future dystopian world, 16 year old Alenna lives in the U.N.A (United Northern Alliance). The U.N.A. consists of what used to be Mexico, US and Canada. Every 16 year old must get tested to see if they are predisposed to violence. If they fail this test, they get sent to Prison Island Alpha, also known as "The Wheel". The Wheel is a dangerous place to live, and most don't survive the harsh living conditions.

When Alenna gets sent to The Wheel she is completely surprised, and she is sure that she was sent there by mistake. She is actually very weak when she first gets there. I loved watching Alenna grow into a brave, loyal and strong women while on the island. She experiences her first real friendships as well as first love.

Alenna quickly makes friends, notably the most popular guy in the group, Liam. Liam is honest, brave, and the groups best hunter. I thought that their chemistry was cute, but I thought their instant-love was a little unrealistic. Then again, things are different on The Wheel; they have to be.

The bad guy on The Wheel is called The Monk. I never really understood his reasoning behind his choices. Even when we learn who he really was (and whoa, I was not expecting that!!) and he explained how and why he was on the island, I didn't understand him. I really wish I did though.

Nothing on The Wheel is what it seems. Yes, there are savages, wars and deaths. But there are also groups of people who are good, who want to help and who want to get off the island. I thought the whole concept of The Wheel was very interesting and original. I had so many questions about it and it's occupants. So many of my questions were answered, but it just led to more questions! I can not wait for the second book.

The Forsaken is a fast paced, and original read. There was always something happening, and I was never bored. I could not turn the pages fast enough to find out the answers that the characters and I were seeking! I would definitely recommend this exciting read! 






2 comments:

  1. Oh wow sounds amazing! I can't wait to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Monk's identity was such a surprise! Such an awesome twist :)

    Glad you enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to read my post! I would love to know what you think, so please leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...