Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Review: Hooked by Liz Fichera

Hooked
By: Liz Fichera
Pub. Date: January 31, 2013
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Pages: 368
Source: Netgalley

Get hooked on a girl named Fred... 

HE said: Fred Oday is a girl? Why is a girl taking my best friends spot on the boy's varsity golf team?

SHE said: Can I seriously do this? Can I join the boys' team? Everyone will hate me - especially Ryan Berenger.

HE said: Coach expects me to partner with Fred on the green? That is crazy bad. Fred's got to go - especially now that I can't get her out of my head. So not happening.

SHE said: Ryan can be nice, when he's not being a jerk. Like the time he carried my golf bag. But the girl from the rez and the spoiled rich boy from the suburbs? So not happening.

But there's no denying that things are happening as the girl with the killer swing takes on the boy with the killer smile...
Fred is the Native American girl who lives in a trailer with her father, brother, and alcoholic mother on the reservation. Ryan is the rich, white kid whose parents ignore him. When Fred joins the all boys golf team at their high school, tensions begin right away between these two. Especially because Fred took Ryan's best friends spot.

I really liked Fred. She was a sweet girl who had to deal with a crappy mother. She loves playing golf, and she hopes that it will lead to a college scholarship, but joining an all boys team gets to her. There were so many times that she wanted to quit, but I am so glad that she never did. I definitely had to warm up to Ryan. You can tell that deep down he was a sweet person, but on the outside he was a jerk, who hangs out with equally, if not worse, jerks.

The two of them are from completely different worlds, but somehow they are going to do what they can to make it work. This kind of story has been told over and over again and I usually don't like reading them anymore, but I enjoyed the little twist that Liz Fichera added with Fred playing golf and having to join the team.

I thought the relationship between Fred and Ryan was very cute. I couldn't help but root for them. I also enjoyed the character growth that both of them experienced. The story was very realistic and relatable.

Overall, Hooked was a cute story. I also love the simplicity of the cover. The black and white photo with the link lettering is perfect!

I am interested to read the synopsis for Played, book two in the series.



4 comments:

  1. I really liked Fred and her perseverance too-she just kept going and I'm so glad because she was a MC who it was easy to support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm halfway through and I agree - Fred is definitely an easy character to like. I'm still a bit wary towards Ryan, but I'm happy to hear that his character grows!

    Lyra @ Defiantly Deviant

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen this book everywhere I really need to read it.. sometimes we just need a cute romance! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be reading this soon. It sounds like a great contemp read.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to read my post! I would love to know what you think, so please leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...