Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Review: The Beautiful and the Cursed by Page Morgan


The Beautiful and the Cursed
By: Page Morgan
Pub. Date: May 14, 2013
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Pages: 352
Source: TLA 2013

After a bizarre accident, Ingrid Waverly is forced to leave London with her mother and younger sister, Gabby, trading a world full of fancy dresses and society events for the unfamiliar city of Paris.

In Paris there are no grand balls or glittering parties, and, disturbingly, the house Ingrid’s twin brother, Grayson, found for them isn’t a house at all. It’s an abandoned abbey, its roof lined with stone gargoyles that could almost be mistaken for living, breathing creatures.

And Grayson has gone missing.

No one seems to know of his whereabouts but Luc, a devastatingly handsome servant at their new home.

Ingrid is sure her twin isn’t dead—she can feel it deep in her soul—but she knows he’s in grave danger. It will be up to her and Gabby to navigate the twisted path to Grayson, a path that will lead Ingrid on a discovery of dark secrets and otherworldly truths. And she’ll learn that once they are uncovered, they can never again be buried.
I finally read a story about gargoyles that I enjoyed! I look forward to reading any book that I hear has to do with gargoyles, but they all end up disappointing me. So of course, I went into The Beautiful and the Cursed with absolutely no expectations. I didn't want to be disappointed yet again, but thankfully I wasn't and The Beautiful and the Cursed ending up being the best gargoyle book I have ever read.

Set in Paris in 1899, the story follows Ingrid, and her younger sister Gabby as they move from London to Paris. As they arrive at their new home, they find out their brother, Grayson (Ingrid's twin) who came to Paris earlier has been missing for several days. The police aren't taking his disappearance seriously and the young women believe it is up to them to find him. They get swept into a world that they never knew existed. Below the beauty, the parties, the cosmopolitan life style there are secret organizations, gargoyles, monsters and angels.

I loved learning about the history of the gargoyles. Who they were, where they came from, and why they became gargoyles. I found all of that extremely interesting. I also enjoyed learning about the different types of gargoyles.

I really enjoyed all of the characters and felt a connection to them. We get to read four different POV-Ingrid, Gabby, Luc and Graysons. I thought each one added more to the story. I especially loved Luc's because that is how we learned about the inner workings of the gargoyles. Grayson's was also interesting because we got to learn who kidnapped him and what was happening to him before the other characters found out.

Page Morgan did a wonderful job weaving history and mystery together in Beautiful and the Cursed and I am very excited for the next book!

4.5 stars rounded up to 5.


2 comments:

  1. i haven't exactly read any books with gargoyles in it so this so pretty interesting

    great review
    Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh nice review! Good gargoyle books are hard to find. Not sure if I even read one where a gargoyle is a main character! This one is in my TBR mountain and I soo look forward to reading it after reading so many fabulous reviews, including yours!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to read my post! I would love to know what you think, so please leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...