Thursday, May 9, 2013

Review: True by Erin McCarthy


True
By: Erin McCarthy
Pub. Date: May 7, 2013
Publisher: InterMix
Pages: 238
Source: Netgalley

When Rory Macintosh’s roommates find out that their studious and shy friend has never been with a guy, they decide that, as an act of kindness they’ll help her lose her virginity by hiring confident, tattooed bad boy Tyler Mann to do the job…unbeknownst to Rory.

Tyler knows he’s not good enough for Rory. She’s smart, doctor smart, while he’s barely scraping by at his EMT program, hoping to pull his younger brothers out of the hell their druggy mother has left them in. But he can’t resist taking up her roommates on an opportunity to get to know her better. There’s something about her honesty that keeps him coming back when he knows he shouldn't.

Torn between common sense and desire, the two find themselves caught up in a passionate relationship. But when Tyler’s broken family threatens to destroy his future, and hers, Rory will need to decide whether to cut her ties to his risky world or follow her heart, no matter what the cost. 
I was so excited to receive an egalley of True from Netgalley, but sadly, I was very disappointed. I never felt connected to the characters and I found the writing to be silly.

Rory and Tyler have met before but they never really interacted. One night while the whole gang is hanging out and drinking, Rory is almost raped by another friend of theirs. Tyler witnesses this and beats the crap out of that douchebag. After this, Tyler seems to always be around Rory, whether it is a ride home or helping her cure her hangover. The two of them become friends when they begin to tutor each other-he helps her with her lit class, and she helps him with his science classes. It isn't until we get a glimpse into Tyler's home life and meet his horrible mother and wonderful brothers that I finally started to like Tyler. The scenes between him and his brothers were some of my favorites scenes that I have ever read!

As much as I enjoyed those scenes there were too many things that bothered me. For example, after Rory was almost raped and Tyler volunteers to take her home, her friends/roommates just say, "ok bye. It's to cold to go outside". WHAT?? Your friend was just almost raped, and you are just going to let her be home alone. It just didn't make any sense to me. Also, without giving anything away, I thought it was a little strange and rushed that Rory got a particular tattoo.

The ending is what bothered me the most. It just ended! I would have liked more resolution, especially when it came to Tyler. So many things had happened to him, and his life completely changed and we don't learn anything about what he ended up doing, and how he is coping with everything. This really upset me. How can you care about the characters if you never get to really know them?

There is a second book in the series, but it isn't about Rory and Tyler. Sadly, I don't think I am going to waste my time with it. 

2.5 stars rounded up to 3


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to read my post! I would love to know what you think, so please leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...