Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Review: Just One Year by Gayle Forman

Just One Year
(Just One Day # 2)
By: Gayle Forman
Pub. Date: October 10, 2013
Publisher: Dutton Books
Pages: 336
Source: Penguin Books First To Read program


The heartrending conclusion—from Willem’s POV—to the romantic duet of novels that began with Allyson’s story in Just One Day.

After spending an amazing day and night together in Paris, Just One Year is Willem’s story, picking up where Just One Day ended. His story of their year of quiet longing and near misses is a perfect counterpoint to Allyson’s own as Willem undergoes a transformative journey, questioning his path, finding love, and ultimately, redefining himself.
I've waited a year to read Willem's POV and I was so excited to learn I scored an early copy. Unfortunately, I was disappointed. I enjoyed the first hundred pages or so but then I started to get bored. It was the same thing over and over again. I loved what we saw of Willem in Just One Day but in Just One Year he came across as a winey and dramatic in certain situations.

The story starts off with Willem in the hospital where we learn within the first few pages that he never meant to leave Allyson, he just didn't know how to find her. What I enjoyed most was learning about Willem's past and family. Willem is a free spirit, and I loved that about him, but it was interesting to find out the hows and whys surrounding the reasons he is the man he is today.

I also enjoyed the mentions of double happiness again. I absolutely loved the concept of double happiness and I plan on getting a tattoo of it on my wrist!

Just One Day and Just One Year are definitely character driven, and in that respect Gayle Forman did a wonderful job writing Willem. His thoughts and emotions are honest and real. He has a lot of healing to do regarding his parents and that aspect was just so raw. I felt his pain right along with him. Forman definitely knows how to get the reader 100% invested.

Just One Year might not have been as amazing as I was hoping it would be, but it was still a good read and a wonderful conclusion to Allyson's and Willem's story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to read my post! I would love to know what you think, so please leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...